Friday, July 1, 2016

Pamilya Ordinaryo: An Extraordinary Experience

Almost a year ago, I resigned from my regular job as an AE/Producer so that I could pursue my love for films. No, not just watching films but also being a part of the production team. Eventually, I would like to write but for the meantime I want to just be in that world; see what it is like on the other side of the screen, discover how it all works, and mainly learn.

Lucky for me, I am friends with Line Producer (and now actress) extraordinaire Nay Sarah Pagcaliwagan-Brakensiek who worked on films such as Ang Huling Cha-cha ni Anita and English Only, Please to name a few. She is one of the people I know who has the biggest heart! She let me tag along to meetings and projects when she wasn't really getting anything from it. Thank you, Nay! Segue lang, I even visited Nay Sarah on the set of On The Wings Of Love and saw JaDine! Grabe sobrang lapit ni James Reid pero nahiya akong magpa-picture kaya wala akong evidence hahaha! 

Anyway, she introduced me to Award-winning Director, Eduardo Roy Jr.  (Direk Edong). I remember the first day I met with him. We were at his artfully-decorated condo and he gave me a copy of a two-page excerpt from the script, it was what we were going to use for the audition, and I got engrossed in reading it. First paragraph pa lang, ang ganda ng pagkasulat! I read scripts online for a hobby (at malakas kaming mang-daot ng mga kaibigan ko in terms of kwento and scripts, sorry na mga feelingera lang haha!) and I can say that his writing is incredibly tasteful. IDOL!!

L-R Direk Edong, Nanay Sarah, and me
This was taken on the first day of Cinemalaya auditions at CCP.
Look at my smile!! Kilig na kilig lang?
Bespoke script. I lost my copy in one of our locations, though huhu!

From that day on, it felt like everything progressed slowly and rapidly at the same time. Slowly because it was unfamiliar territory for me and most of the time I had no idea what to do. On the other hand, it was like everything was falling into place rapidly. Trying to find the main talents was already a challenge in itself; we went to Tondo, we went to CCP, we also held multiple auditions at Direk's condo and it was just ironic that the day Direk found her, I was on a shoot out-of-town so I wasn't there to witness her audition.

I met our stars, Hasmine Killip and Ronwaldo Martin, on the day of the test-shoot and it was overwhelming! Seeing them under the lights, in front of the camera and wearing the wardrobe for the shoot I felt like crying! No joke haha! Lalo na nung I witnessed the workshop and heard them speaking in the characters' voices, grabe ganun pala ang feeling, nakaka-overwhelm! I even teared-up huhu ang galing nila.

Hasmine and Ronwaldo in one of the intense scenes

Ms. Maria Isabel Lopez with our very own Hasmine and Ron

The day before our first-day of shoot, I was in Direk's condo finishing up some stuff, he asked me if it was the first movie I was going to be working for and I said yes. I remember him telling me "Ay hindi ito pang-first-timer" and true enough hindi nga. Mehn, I won't pretend, it was probably the most difficult project I've ever done. We shot for eight days (scheduled a day apart) and on the first three days, I go home and cry. Stress! I mixed up information, my brain would not cooperate with me, I would forget things, in short, I messed up. Ang dami kong mali, ay day! Akala ko nga masisesante na ako eh buti mabait si Nanay Sarah! Hahaha!

On the fourth day of shoot, I felt like I was finally getting the hang of it and the talents, staff, and crew already bonded by that time so the work became much easier and even started being fun. I've also learned quickly (dahil kailangan) not to take things personally. Bawal ang balat-sibuyas! I also just have to say that the Pamilya Ordinaryo team was very professional and efficient. They were also forgiving because they knew it was my first film, otherwise I wouldn't have survived a day!

Make-up and Wardrobe
Direk Edong at work

Too soon, it was our last day of shoot and I felt relieved and nostalgic at the same time. That experience is definitely one of the highlights of my life.

Taken on the last day of shoot with (almost) the whole team

Just last week I saw the teaser trailer and I cried again huhu! I am immensely proud to be part of this film. I know this one is for the books, I've seen a lot of films to be able to say that. Many times during the production I said that it would be my first and last film kasi ang hirap hahaha but of course I didn't mean it. The energy, the feels, the natural high were just incredible and addictive.

Gusto ko yung silang lahat happy and fresh tapos ako ngarag at haggard hahaha!

One of my clients told me before that to be in this industry, you have to be an adrenaline-junkie, and perhaps that's what I am, I'm scared of heights and crazy rides pero eto pala, mas nakakalula, mas masakit but I love every bit of it. WALANG EME.

Being a part of such an awesome team creating quality film just solidified how I have always felt about the film industry, hopeful and proud. I can't wait to see the film on the big screen! Creating Pamilya Ordinaryo with the team-extraordinaire was indeed an extraordinary experience. Please don't miss it! For now, see teaser trailer below.



Photos by: Michael Lacambra

No comments:

Post a Comment