Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The importance of a workspace

Since I work at home most of the time, it's often a challenge to put myself on "work mode". Of course it's nice that I can work while in bed, or while lounging in the sofa, or nibbling stuff at the dining table, admittedly there are days when I have to wait for some type of mood to set in before I can start working and it's especially difficult when I have a deadline to meet.

I've read somewhere (I forgot where) that it is important to have an area at home where you can work, that way, you can easily set your mind to finish tasks even with the bed literally just a few steps away. For the past two months, my work area has been the bed (haha the irony!). I sit on a cushion on the floor and use our bed as a table. I've tried working while sitting on the bed, with the laptop on my lap (where I imagine it originally belongs because of its name) but I can't seem to get my mind to start functioning properly, I almost always end up just browsing the net or watching yet another episode of Friends.

Twice I've also tried writing deliverables while on the couch, but then I thought, what is sitting on the couch without turning the TV on, right? So I turn on the TV and I end up watching women slapping each other and tearing each other's hair out of their heads. What's up with that? I finished my scripts alright, but it took me a couple of hours more than what's necessary!

Now, there's this space right outside our bedroom that sort of became the dirty laundry area. It has a table (my husband's study table) on the corner, placed right in front of a window beside an empty white wall!!! Anybody who's been on Pinterest knows this is a gem of an area! Right?!!?? Okay, I'll admit it, the moment we moved here to this house I immediately thought "oh, what a nice corner to put a home office in!" but you see, we live with my husband's siblings and I'm not entirely sure what they'd think if I just suddenly put up an "office" in a common area. However, seeing as how it just turned into a space where we all put our laundry baskets, I think I'll go ahead ask them if I can redecorate it and turn it into a work area. Okay, my work area. Hmm..I wonder if I'd have to pay rent for my "office". 

Anyway, so I've been pretty hung up on that thought and I've been scouring Pinterest for nice yet plausible work area designs. Something I can recreate and personalize with a very veeeery small budget.

Let me share to you some of my picks. :D


I love the color teal, is that teal? It's super cool to the eyes! I can just imagine myself working on wonderful decks and superb scripts if this was my work area. Yung tipo ng trabaho na approved kaagad ng clients draft 1 pa lang and even when I'd have to revise, I probably wouldn't mind haha!


Same color palette as the first one. I especially like the bulletin board! I can pin my schedules, calendars, and reminders on that pretty cork board. Perhaps some love notes for the husband. Choss!


I think if we have a work area at home, my husband will also be encouraged to use it to do a bit of reading or maybe some work for his small business so even when I super love the previous pegs, I'd probably have to look for a unisex design. Like this one?

I can make the sidewall a "his" area, where Mr. L can store some of his techy tools. I like that the decors required more creativity and less expense. I mean, much as I'd like to make my work area "Pinteresting", I wouldn't be able to afford it just yet.


Okay, this one's probably the most realistic in terms of space. I like the blackboard touch and how it works both as a design and a utilitarian piece. The catch is, given that probably all of us in the house have Allergic Rhinitis, using chalk too much wouldn't really be wise.

And the next is a compilation of different types of work area!

This one is so overwhelming! Oh, my heart!

And of course, my absolute favorite, featuring my niece's study area! This is way more decent than my current home office by the way haha! She designed it herself (she's eleven!) with help from my sister.


That chair looks so comfy!
And her bookshelf is love!


Sigh! I honestly don't know what kind of a work area I can come up with IRL given the limited funds I have but hey, a girl can dream, right? Anyway, the important thing is to be productive even when you're just sitting on the floor using your bed as a table. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment