Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Freelancers' Financial Feat



Since I resigned from my regular job last year, I have been asked by friends or by people I know how I am "holding up" as a freelancer. I used to work as an AE/Producer/Scriptwriter at a formidable company but I chose to resign because I wanted to learn more about, and be closer to, my great love - films. Because there can only be so much films in a year, I also accept projects such as scriptwriting, producing, and managing for anything video - Audio Visual Productions (AVPs), Corporate Videos, Web Videos, etc. Recently, I also tried out being a Stage Manager for a couple of events (it was fun!).

Thing is, I know some people who are also considering to quit their jobs but are scared of not having that financial safety net aka regular pay. Meron namang iba who have no idea what is it exactly that I do for a living make comments such as "Sarap ng buhay mo ah!" or "Buti ka pa, parelaks-relaks na lang!"

So let me write some "myth-busters" type of post about the financial state of freelancers. Perhaps this could help those who are considering to quit their regular jobs because in reality, it's not for everyone.


1. Freelancers work for peanuts, or better yet, for free.

While some clients would like to pay peanuts, no self-respecting freelancer would accept a non-paying project. Yes, I do give "special rates" to, um, special clients but I charge what I think my work is worth.

For projects where I am admittedly a newb, the experience and the learning I get out of them are enough (plus of course allowance for meals, transportation and communication). When you're a freelancer you have to be flexible but at the same time you have to consider that every hour, every day, every schedule matters and that you should be getting something for every effort that you put in; if not monetary then knowledge go a long way.

There are some who apply for apprenticeship from seasoned Directors of Photography (DOPs), Directors, Writers, etc. to gain insight and hone their skills more. This is also wise just make sure you are not selling yourself short.


2. Freelancers have a more relaxed lifestyle.

If you are not sure when you are getting your next paycheck, do you think you will be relaxed? I don’t think so. Yes, I have more time now for myself and for the people I love but if I ever become relaxed, I might as well be a bum.

It takes a lot of self-discipline to get things done especially for projects that can be worked on at home like scriptwriting, scheduling, and stuff like coordinating because all it takes is one turn and oh hey! There’s the bed! It is a matter of planning your time and strictly following your schedule.

Although there are certain perks like traveling for work, it's not just all liwaliw and gala. Work is work. No matter where you are, you still have to deliver.

Plus, you always have to up the quality of your work or else no one else is going to hire you in the future! If you ever get relaxed someone else is going to bag your dream project and eventually, you will be wiped out of the race.

So yeah, the myth that freelancers are “parelaks-relaks”? Busted.


3. Freelancers are loaded. So this is, like, the opposite of item number one, you say? Actually no. Let me explain.

Some people (minsan clients) think that we, freelancers, charge A LOT. I used to think this way too, when I was an AE. Now that I am a freelancer, I sometimes do not know how much to charge. The key is to be in the loop of things; find out what is the standard rate for the kind of work that you do, know your expertise, know where you fall short. That way, you neither overcharge nor undercharge.

While seasoned freelancers ARE loaded, the reason cannot only be attributed to them being freelancers. There are a lot of reasons for them being loaded; they are experts, popular, and exceptional in their fields. Doesn’t it hold true for in-house professionals too? Those who work hard to get to the top are rewarded, freelance or in-house alike, you just have to find what works best for you.

There, I hope this helps. Maybe next time I can write about what helped me make a decision to be a freelancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment